Monday, July 31, 2006

Monday Meeting

I talked to Amy, the dietician, over the phone this morning. She said no problem making the changes we need. She thanked me for the call.

I saw mom just before dinner time. Our grilled cheese sandwich dinner came w/o bread or cheese. The plate had tomato, pickle and bacon. We had a laugh and gave the bacon away. The dining staff supplied us with a sandwich. The yogurt request was honored as was real salad. I've left Amy a message that mom does not require pureed bread and that we'd like regular bread with meals, preferably wheat.

The patient care evaluation was simply their venue to tell us mom's discharge date, which is tentatively Aug. 22. They were finished, but I wasn't. I had my list ready to go: bed transfers (standing instead of sliding), pain medication being given after therapies, missing Mysoline for tremors, improper use of the arm trough (it was on backwards) and the staff's inexperience using the sling. I emphasized that these issues would make rehabbing very difficult in the time they've tentatively allotted for mom's recovery and that if she doesn't have the necessary tools to succeed, we are all wasting our time. Dr. Mupa thanked me for the feedback and was very nice about it. Nurse Frumpy didn't have much to say, but took excellent notes. Caseworker Stacy was floored that I gave them flack over these issues... I guess her mom hasn't gone through rehab.

She will be getting Ultram (pain med) 3x per day, unless she doesn't need it - ie. refuses it. She will be getting her Mysoline 2x per day (7 am / 5 pm). Blood sugar was 109 tonight.

She had a shower before dinner and was clean and shiny! There was a really nice flower/plant arrangement in her room, but the message on the tag was incomplete. I called the flower shop to find they were sent by Mike's parents in California. Mom (and we all) says "thank you!".

John stopped by before dinner for a visit and Kris stopped in as I was leaving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home