Tuesday, June 27, 2006

the saga continues

Tonight my visit with mom was good, in that she was talkative, alert, and sassy....bad in other ways. Continual problems with the staff...leg not elevated and very swollen, dentures out during mealtime, and no pain killers for several hours, pillows behind her neck in the chair forcing her to hunch over, quite hard to eat while looking DOWN at your lap. I went and got her dentures, the staff told me she refused both pain meds and elevating her leg (because it hurt too much to touch). I had the nurse bring the ultram back right away and mom did take it with coaxing. There was a large sign on her board to make sure she has her dentures in for meals, but , of course, the meals were being served in the hall. I wrote a comment card regarding ENCOURAGING THE PATIENT TO TAKE THE PRESCRIBED PAIN MEDS, Peg also confirmed that she would take them if she had a choice. I told her it was ok, and Sara said it was ok to have ultram. I talked to the nurse about the elevation thing and she said to talk to Dr. Chidouri about having her elevated (above the heart) and that he could make it part of her DAILY routine. That they could schedule therapies around it. She is having a hard time eating because she says she's bloated and too full. They are doing a test on Friday at 11:00 am or so to determine bladder function problems. I signed off on this as they asked me to, but Sara, let me know if this is a good thing for her. Don't remember the name of the test. Nurse Cheryl said it's a short 30 minutes or so test. Longer to set it all up actually. There are medications for this problem, which is a typical stroke rection, but I didn't get into that. I suppose we see what the test tells us first.

I think we need to speak to the case worker AND Dr. I think Monday is their meeting. since I'm off this monday, I'd like to go face to face with her Dr. and team. We need to address the ever- present problems that continue to occur, even after Lisa has painstakingly contacted and hounded the case worker for the cooperation of the staff. I don't understand why the knee Dr's order to elevate the leg isn't enough, and why Dr. Chidouri can't see that the swelling is so bad that it is causing continual pain and she's probaby seeing stars..

I'm frankly sick of this , and would like to get some level of assurance that they are treating her whole person, not just a couple things. Who would like to come with me?

On the upside, Mom's dentures were nicely cleaned and waiting for her, her ted hose was on, her lavender pillow was with her, they let me heat it up, and the nurses were attentive. mom told me her physical therapists name is Alan, she STOOD UP TODAY and he worked her very hard. her psychologist said she passed the memory test. Mom was a bit unconvinced that her memory is fine. She said "I passed the memory test, isn't that funny?"I talked with her regarding compliance to taking the pain medication. She said OK. She looked comfortable when I left after they put her CDM machine on and checked her for pain, using only one pillow ehind her neck, without me having to tell them that. We had a few moments of hand massage and I left the Cubs game on for her. She was sleepy at 7:30, so I left.

Peg has offered to visit as much as she can before she herself goes to have her knee done on July 20th. She plans to accompany us to mass this sunday. Mom told Peg to cancel her surgery, but Peg has her mind made up to go ahead. Please wish her well...I will get her temporary address to keep her updated on mom and see how she is through her therapy. She plans to stay with her son for a few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home