Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sunday Afternoon

Hello everyone,

Mom was in good spirits, and alert today during our visit. Around 2-4. . Mike and I brought Toby for a visit. He did very well... no jumping. Thanks to his extra special attention from all of his visitors, he was calm. I think mom was happy to see him. He did get up on her arm rest and kissed her quite a bit! We went outside and used the paved walk, past the gazebo and a few patches of flowers. We read cards and email messages and walked Toby at the same time. Mom was relieved that Barbara is fine. Patsy and Rosie plan to visit together after the 4th.

She told me about speech therapy. Her Speech Therapist is Erin. We also discussed briefly 'the plan'. I said "you can do this" and she answered with "I have to". and I said "I know you can". I had no bouts of crying. I assured her that we are not giving up on her, or her left arm. she needs to keep up her attitude and learn to be patient with herself (probably the hardest thing of all).

Her knee was not bothering her much (only 0ne 'ouch'). Her leg was elevated, thanks to Lisa. Her sugar is getting better ...this am was 153...much better.

Mom has a new roommate, Ginger, who is also diabetic, with a broken leg in several places. She is similar in age Judging by her daughter, and she is quite nice. They have been trading family stories, etc, and I think Ginger is a Cubs fan as well. Mom is also making friends with the employees there. When we wheeled her down to the elevator , the whole group said hello, Elaine.

We talked about her therapy sessions. She told me she had the nurse and a doctor give her massage. I'm not sure when, she may have been referring to Thurs. or Friday. She likes it at any rate, because she brought it up.

Lisa says there is a room down the hall on her floor to the left of the nurses station (report room) which has some space to lounge with chairs and tables for us if we want to spread out, read the paper, nice and bright with windows! If we can get her in there, you'll have more space to maneuver and it's a nice change of pace for dinner if you don't want the hallway.

Susi wants to know what she can do, and wants to know about calling during our visits so she can say hi to mom.

Sara says she will talk to the case manager on Mondays after the weekly assessments and post her findings and concerns. Sara will talk to Marlys and see how her visit went yesterday.

I know Elinor , Ronnie and Keith are planning a visit tomorrow. Lisa or I will go for dinner. Over and out...Karla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home